Students can find a number of free online psychology courses that don???t require registration or tuition, but these??courses don???t result in college credit. Students interested in earning alternative forms of credit for the courses they complete online might want to look for online sources that charge a fee in exchange for access to course materials.??schools and colleges??has this type of distance learning program via its quick and informative video lessons with corresponding self-assessment quizzes. These resources can prepare students to earn college credit. Online Psychology Degree Programs
Students interested in studying psychology can find multiple courses available through Study.com. Some chapters in the Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology course include:
- Biological Bases of Behaviour-This chapter examines the biological factors that can affect behaviour and includes videos on neurons, the nervous system, neuroplasticity and the endocrine system.
- States of Consciousness-Topics covered include the sleep cycle, hypnosis, psychoactive drugs and theories about dreams.
- Social Psychology-Some of the subjects covered in this chapter include stereotypes, attitudes, persuasion, conformity, group behaviour??and altruism.
Psychology 102: Educational Psychology features some of the following chapters:
- Cognitive Perspectives in Psychology-Learn about categorising memory, short-term memory, mnemonic devices, information transfer types and cognitive thinking.Online Campus Psychology Degree Programs
- Developmental Psychology in Children and Adolescents-Topics covered here include Piaget???s theory, assimilation, identity formation, linguistics and gender differences in the classroom.
- Motivation in Learning-This chapter covers how motivation affects learning, social-cognitive learning theory, attribution theory, intrinsic and extrinsic motivation and more.
Free Online Non-Credited Psychology Courses
Teachers and independent learners can access these course materials without registration; however, their use isn???t accompanied by interaction with professors or the ability to earn credit. Online Campus Psychology Degree Programs
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MIT offers learning materials that provide an overview of the field and explore some of its subdivisions.
- Evolutionary Psychology??is a graduate-level course that traces the development of mental activities like reasoning and using language as well as the expression of emotions. Lecture notes from the course aren???t included; course materials consist of reading and assignment lists.
- Introduction to Psychology??exposes students to a wide variety of perspectives within the field, including cognitive, biological and psychoanalytical. Learners can listen to 23 audio lectures; additional course materials provide a reading list and define writing assignments. Online Psychology Degree Programs
- Psychology of Gender??applies theories and research to question commonly held ideas about gender differences, examining topics like political influences and the social construction of gender. Lecture notes aren???t available, but learners have access to a lengthy reading list and links to resources for further study.
- Social Psychology??contains detailed class notes as well as reading and assignment lists. Lecture notes are in PDF format and explore topics like the social construction of reality, conformity, propaganda and discrimination.
University of California at Berkeley
The Department of Psychology at Berkeley makes many of its courses, from introductory survey to specialised topics, available as audio and/or video podcasts through its page of webcasts and through iTunes University. Syllabi, reading lists and assignments aren???t provided. Online Psychology Degree Programs
- Clinical Psychology??investigates theories and scientific research related to psychological disorders in addition to evaluating different therapeutic approaches.
- Cognitive Neuroscience??includes 25 audio podcasts explore the biological basis of cognition through the use of techniques like electroencephalography (EEG) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).
- The Psychology of Dreams??explores cultural and historical perspectives, Freudian theory, Jungian theory, dreams as art and lucid dreaming.
- Research and Data Analysis in Psychology??goes over T-tests, effect size, regression and chi-square tests.
- Social Cognition??examines social perception, social memory and social judgement, among other topics.
University of Cape Town
- Psychology and Religion in the Search for Personal Wholeness??examines the work of Carl Jung, Erich Fromm, M. Scott Peck and William James. Course materials include PowerPoint lecture slides and a list of recommended readings.
University of Notre Dame
- Introduction to Social Psychology??explores a variety of social relationships, structures and behaviours, looking at both how social participation influences individuals and how individuals affect social groups. Lecture topics explore socialisation and self-concept in the context of work, family and school environments. Course materials consist of written lecture notes, some of which include links to articles.
- Introduction to Psychology??is available in several formats, including low- or high-bandwidth video, audio and transcripts. Students have access to a syllabus with a textbook list. Some topics in this comprehensive exploration of behaviour include love, memory, art and dreams. Separate lectures are devoted to the work of Sigmund Freud and B.F. Skinner.